Wednesday, January 28, 2015

French Almond Cake



Nowadays as my weight is keep "upgrading", I try to reduce my intake of sweet stuff...and that, my friends, including cake with gluten. Sigh. In case you are wondering why I've been away from this blog lately, that because I'm trying hard not to eat cake, muffin and so on. It really is tough! I'm not a big fan of sweets, but I love cakes and muffins......And my main reason to bake myself cakes and muffins is so that I can control the ingredients. I always reduce the use of sugar on every recipe I make.



Gluten....another problem here. I don't have to talk long about this. I believe we all know the bad things caused by consuming gluten continuously. Been trying to use whole wheat flour, but my family doesn't enjoy it :( . So, to cut the gluten intake, I make schedule. Silly? I don't care, I'm doing this for my family's health. So, baking with gluten stuff, only twice a week. And that is maximal. Other than that, I make other things than gluten stuffs. Mostly Indonesian traditional food using glutinous rice flour, tapioca and so on. 



And for the first time ever, I begin to make cakes with ground almond! I don't use it entirely, tho. Still mix with flour. But this one is acceptable in my family's taste bud.

What I'm going to share is the recipe I found on one of my favorite blog. French almond cake. The taste is ohhhh so scrumptious and nutty. Of course you can not compare it with the soft texture of flour. But surprisingly, I loooove this cake. And for more, this recipe is incredibly simple to make. I mean simple SIMPLE. Though the recipe call for a hand mixer, I was too lazy to use it, so I use balloon whisker instead. And it turns out successful.



FRENCH ALMOND CAKE

110g unsalted butter, cut into small cubes and leave to soften
120g caster sugar (If you are a sweet tooth, add the sugar to 150gr)
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
90g ground almonds (almond powder)
40g all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
1 tablespoon flaked almonds for sprinkling
some icing sugar for dusting

HOW TO:

  1. Pre-heat oven at 160degC. Grease (with butter) and flour the sides and base of a 20cm pan, set aside.
  2. Place butter, sugar and eggs in a mixing bowl, add almond powder, flour, milk, vanilla extract (optional) then beat with an electric mixer or whisk. When quite light and fluffy, 
  3. Transfer to baking pan, spread evenly, then sprinkle the almond flakes.
  4. Bake at 160 degC for 30-35mins, or until the sponge just springs back when pressed (mine took 40mins), or a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. 
  5. Dust with icing sugar prior to serving. 


8 comments:

  1. mbak Liza aku mah gak bisa motret sambil pegang2 gitu da hahahha... pake tripod apa sewa model ?:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hihihih ini pake tripod tehhhh :)) biasanya sih minjem tangannya bayu, tapi si bocah skrg susah banget kalo diminta megang2 ini itu...

      Delete
  2. This is my kind of sweet treat. I have been trying to cut down the intake of sugar and white flour..so I know how hard it's for you, esp. when you enjoy baking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Angie! I enjoy baking. alot. so cutting down is a though though job for me....

      Delete
  3. Mba Liza.....buatin tutorial fotonya juga dong. Kece2 banget fotonya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sebenernya niat kesitu sih ada, tp masih blm pede nih, hihihihihi. Paling aku share behind the scene ku di instagram aja, mba Noni :)

      Delete